Engaging All Learners

Engaging All Learners
Studio Day April 2019

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Building Reading Stamina

I received the following email and pictures from second grade teacher, Kay Shumate.  Thank you, Kay, for purposefully developing readers in your classroom!

Mrs. Bruno, 
Thank you for the article in your blog about reading stamina!  I couldn’t agree more.  I love when Mrs. Brockman calls my students “frequent flyers” in the library because they are checking out so many books.  They love to read in their favorite spot in our room when they have completed their work. (see attached pictures)  I find that AR is a great tool to use to help my students chose the “just right book” on their level.  In 2nd grade, I get to see many of my friends move from picture books to more complex texts such as expository nonfiction and chapter books.  They get to see that they indeed have the stamina to read, comprehend and remember longer story lines and fact packed books. 
Kay Shumate





No comments:

Post a Comment